ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-ant/lib - New directory
Date Tue, 28 Nov 2000 07:59:37 GMT
At 08:34  27/11/00 -0800, you wrote:
>Jon Stevens wrote:
>

>> Somehow checking in the .jar's for Turbine has solved the low cost of entry
>> problem quite nicely. Maybe you should try doing something; that is
known to
>> work; in your project as well to see what happens. :-)
>>

>I would suggest that you consider a different "cause" to the happy
"effect" that
>you are observing (people find it easy to download and install Turbine).  The
>cause I would nominate is that you started distributing the all-in-one
download
>"Turbine Development Kit".  (The same cause/effect happens with Cocoon now
that
>an all-in-one download is available).

No it started happening before TDK was available - I remember the list
being inundated with newbie questions (some of them mine ;]) when jars went
into CVS ;)

>The only people who will observe a difference between these two approaches
are
>those who use direct CVS access *and* want to compile your project (as
opposed to
>just using it) in order to contribute to it.

right. But how many download CVS but can not be considered potential
developers ...

>The former group does need to go to a little more effort (clearly
described in
>the README files in the top-level directory of the source directory).
><personal-opinion>The ability to set up a build environment succesfully,
once, is
>a pretty good filter for potential committer candidates
:-)</personal-opinion>

err - it has nothing to do with skill. It has to do with laziness.
Personally I won't jump through hoops to play with a project that I may or
may not end up developing with. However if all I have to do is click and
compile - the project may gain an extra developer. I suspect I am not the
only lazy git about ;)

>I believe that it is possible to accomplish the same desired results in a
>different way -- create a *source distribution* (on some reasonable
schedule like
>nightly) that includes all the things you might want or need.  This helps the
>casual developer who might be looking to get involved, without causing
grief for
>the experienced developer who knows what he is doing and gets royally screwed
>when you include an incompatible version of a dependent project in your
CVS tree.

As I have said before the incompatable version would not be an issue as it
is NOT put into install directory. Thus an experienced developer has no
issues unless they want to compile ant tasks in main distribution that are
incompatable ..... at which stage we can change jars or the developer can
make use of his experience and add a .cvsignore and rm a file.

Cheers,

Pete