ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-ant/lib - New directory
Date Tue, 28 Nov 2000 07:30:31 GMT
At 05:22  27/11/00 -0500, you wrote:
>Peter Donald wrote:
>>
>> You may want to have a look at a message that Stefano Mazzocchi
>> sent  to cocoon-dev list on what it takes to be a successful
>> free/open source software project. Basically it crystalized into
>> three factors;
>> 1. low cost of entry
>> 2. good ideas
>> 3. bad implementation
>
>I agree with this.  I'm not sure how this relates to the subject line,
>however.
>
>Low cost of entry = click on a URL and get everything you need.  Or run a
>system such as the one that Jon described in a recent email.
>
>An example of high cost of entry is checking in an XML parser which may be
>incompatible with other products one may be using.

I agree - I once went through hell trying to mix different dom versions for
cocoon/servlet container etc. However would it be acceptable to you if
these files were only used during the build process and not copied to the
installdir? That way end users would not have to worry about it at all
because there would be no conflict. They still have to manually copy the
appropriate jars into install location ... so do you still have a problem
with it ?

>> BSF has a higher cost of entry and has good code
>
>Actually, all that indicates is that I haven't had enough time to do the
>job right.

I reckon it's because they are so well put together ... I am a big fan of
both jikes and BSF and not once have I hit a moment where I thought - damn
I need to fix that ;)

Cheers,

Pete