ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject RE: Javac, Jikes and java 1.1-1.3
Date Thu, 16 Nov 2000 06:25:47 GMT
At 09:42  15/11/00 -0800, you wrote:
>Does anyone (esp. anyone working at Javasoft) know anything about the likely
>fate of JDC RFE 4164450 "Standard interface for Java compilers". It seems
>like it would be a pretty easy API to cook up and probably easy for compiler
>writers to support. (Much easier, say, than the JPDA). It's not like the
>world's going to end without it but it would put things like Ant's use of
>javac on a slightly firmer footing. (And would make the Javac task much
>easier to write, as soon as someone wrapped Jikes in a thin layer of Java to
>support the API.)

I am not sure who originally posted it but I think it may have been a
response to people working with Cocoon2 project and they found it is
impossible to portably do certain things in regards with compilation (ie
Apaches JSP is Tomcat specific). So I am fairly certain it will go through
in some form or another to support all the different serverside compilation
practices ;)

Cheers,

Pete