ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Javac, Jikes and java 1.1-1.3
Date Wed, 15 Nov 2000 01:42:27 GMT
At 05:33  14/11/00 -0800, you wrote:
>on 11/14/2000 5:13 PM, "Peter Donald" <donaldp@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> Why assume anything ? Javac is a horribly broken non-compliant compiler -
>> you don't assume - you hope that it does what is supposed to do ;)
>
>And what I'm saying is that jikes is more broken than Javac given that javac
>can compile Turbine without problems and Jikes cannot.
>
>Yes, I did try the -depend option with jikes and it was still broken.

Could you describe the particular problem as I have never had the problem.
Ages ago jikes use to break on some non-complient files and the best way
to figure out what is causing the problem is to run jikes in pedantic mode.
It is quite an eye opener as you will most likely find a lot of places
where your code goes against the spec or at least goes against
recomendations and it is quite irritating. That may help get jikes working.

Cheers,

Pete