ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Proposed refactoring of scanDir() functionality
Date Tue, 14 Nov 2000 02:09:06 GMT
At 04:33  13/11/00 -0800, you wrote:
>On 11/3/00 4:39 AM, "Peter Donald" <donaldp@apache.org> wrote:
>
>>> You are far more familiar with Avalon than I am, would your vision
>>> make Ant depend on Avalon?
>>
>> well it could (and IMHO should) but we could make it independent by
>> reimplementing stuff they already have.
>
>-1. Ant should depend on itself to the maximum extent possible. Reusable
>frameworks are good -- but Ant needs to be as self reliant and small and
>easy to build as possible.

Well it can just incorporate into same jar via a jlink task. I don't see
any need to reinvent the wheel thou. There has already been requests to
create things that map to things in Avalon 1-to1. (ie command line parsing,
logging etc). I really don't see it as a good thing to reinvent the wheel
except for performance or license reasons - neither of which apply here. Do
you still think it would be better to reinvent the wheel ?

Cheers,

Pete