ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Proposed API Refactoring
Date Fri, 10 Nov 2000 13:57:23 GMT
At 05:43  10/11/00 -0800, you wrote:

>> When the implementation for one of the changes is
>> ready, we are going
>> to review and then commit it. If the changes are
>> big, it might be
>> useful to create a branch so that people can easily
>> compare old and
>> new versions of it.
>
>An obvious (re)statement here, but the top dogs need
>to put the release of 1.3 as top priority, whereby (I
>assume) the "must always support" feature set will be
>defined. If I have understood the discussions
>correctly, the 1.3 release will be the *last* release
>to ever consider breaking existing build files.

I am not sure about that. I believe that the idea is not to break any
current build files when 1.3 is released but it is acceptable to break
buildfiles for Ant2 (and will automatically break anyone who defines custom
tasks). The only real concern is that Ant2 is set in stone and is done the
right way. I think I remember someone mentioning a timeframe of 6-8 months
before Ant2 was out (thou they may be just random estimates). So don't
really expect the final set in stone stuff to happen anytime soon ;)

>If 1.3 is considered the "official" feature
>definition, then the tasks that I proposed can be
>worked on in a branch and tested against the behavior
>of the official 1.3 release. Sort of like how Sun
>implemented javac and (sort of) worked out the bugs
>and features, and then reworked it again to make it
>faster.

I am not sure if it is needed. A lot of stuff  can be worked on in tandem.
For instance C.1, C.2 and C.3 can be implemented using stuff from Avalon.
The command line args parser is relatively easy to use and does all you
require (thou it does conform to GNU standard and not the standard (if
any???) ant currently uses). The logger is also in Avalon and easy to use.

The only ones that I don't see as easy steps in evolution are C.14 and C.15
(and perhaps the event bus). So in that sense I don't really see a need to
branch (as long as we are careful) thou YMMV ;)

Cheers,

Pete