ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Proposed API Refactoring
Date Fri, 10 Nov 2000 03:41:41 GMT
At 02:02  10/11/00 +1030, you wrote:
>On Tue, 7 Nov 2000, Simeon Fitch wrote:
>
>> The text document below outlines some proposed changes
>
>Thanks for putting this together.  There needs to be a better way to
>communicate these ideas amongst the people on the dev list and
>especially the committers.
>
>It would be helpful to prioritize this list as well.
>
>Have people seen www.log4j.org which I have just started to use but
>looks like a much better logger than we currently have with Ant.  It's
>under the IBM Public License (I dont want to start another licensing
>thread *sigh*, but this is "open source certified" :P )

It was going to be hosted at apache a while back. The guy that maintains it
wanted to share the load ;) Either way it is fine to use. Thou there is
another logging framework in Avalon project (java.apache.org/framework)
that is another candidate.

The main differences between log4j are
* Avalons logging more efficient for light logging (ie jvm local logging)
* Log4j has hierarchial logging (thou Avalon logging will have this soon)
* Avalons logging allows redirecting logs at runtime while log4j can not
* Avalons logging is more easier to use

Thou take that with a grain of salt as I was original author of Avalons
system ;)

>Does anyone have suggestions on how these types of changes get process
>managed in an open source group?

1. if we agree they are desirable then someone does it and commits it ;)
2. If they involve major changes then someone prototypes the changes and if
accepted by the group then a seperate branch/directory created and whoever
wants hacks away at it.
3. if changes can happen without a revolution then the codebase just evolves

I am trying 2 at the moment but I have largely been unsuccessful ;(.

>I would point at Stefan to say he is the one who owns this type of
>role now.

he is probably defacto leader along with duncan and Connor as they have
done the most work ;)

>But how do we go about collating this information and tracking the
>completion of tasks?  It would be nice to be able to work on some
>productive task that has benefit to the entire group rather than to
>just an individual.

Unfortunately apache does not have any productivity tools besides
mailinglist/cvs thou there is the bug tracker and faq but they don't seem
to be used heaps. ;)
Cheers,

Pete