ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject Re: OS detection: am I missing the obvious?
Date Thu, 09 Nov 2000 00:33:39 GMT
At 11:47  8/11/00 -0800, you wrote:
>--- Stefan Bodewig <bodewig@bost.de> wrote:
>> This is an issue the I personally would love to see resolved in a
>> separate tool (this is exactly the use case configure solves for
>> make).
>
>I'm not trying to re-open this debate, honestly, but I just have to say
>that I find it interesting that you think heading towards something like
>"configure" is desirable, just to avoid having a test-for-value.
>Personally, I find "configure" to be one of the yuckiest mangled mess of
>spaghetti-ed crud I've ever run into (and I've run into a considerable
>amount of mangled crud over the years, so that's saying quite a lot).

yep I agree ;). But I also believe make is fairly yucky aswell ;). If it
was possible to do a "clean" dependancy tool (ie ant) to replace make I
think (hpe ? ;]) that it would be possible to do a clean version of
configure tool. Configure is considerably more mucky so that may not be the
case but we can try ;)