ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@locus.apache.org>
Subject Re: Home for ANT GUI (was: Ant GUI Requirements)
Date Wed, 01 Nov 2000 01:52:50 GMT
At 04:25  31/10/00 +0100, you wrote:

> SF> Does having a separate Jakarta project imply a separate web page,
> SF> mailing list, commiters, etc?
>
>Yes, that basically is what a separate project is about 8-)ยท
>
> SF> How much effort and time does it take to get that all set up?
>
>I don't know, I've never done it myself (but hope I'm going to be
>involved in starting a new project rather soon).
>
>I guess we'd just sketch out a source layout for it inside the Ant
>repository. src/antidote/org/apache/tool/ant/gui or something like
>this?

Well from what I can tell the process is basically make a proposal (ie what
is it, why we need it, why it shouldn't go to existing project), what
adopting it will mean (ie who is committer, what it relies on etc) and you
also have to follow a few more guidelines. I posted a email from Stefano
below that indicates a bit more.

Stefan (if he wanted) could be the member who bootstrapped ant and the rest
is right as rain. You would probably have to have a decent prototype before
going to PMC anyways.

Thou I really think it is best ept inside ant atm.

----------------
The deal is simple: you ask the guy if he'd like to donate his code to
the ASF. Then we create a project, CVS, mail list, web site and give him
control of the project. Donating means:

1) give copyright to the ASF
2) place the ASF license on the code
3) use the org.apache. package names in front of *all* classes

The guy keeps copyright on the code that he has done *breviously* and he
keeps the right of using that code to relicense that code if he wants,
even commercially, but the ASF has the right to continue the work under
the Apache license.

So it's a win-win solution for everybody, but the ASF members require
two things:

1) the points above are met
2) the community is bootstrapped by an ASF member (this means the guy
has to subscribe to the mail list and preach the ASF vangel on the new
project).

These are the "unofficial adoption guidelines"... soon to become
official (I hope sooner rather than later).

Let me know if you have any problems.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.

Cheers,

Pete