ant-dev mailing list archives

From Simeon Fitch <meta...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: From attributes to elements and other concerns
Date Thu, 23 Nov 2000 03:10:49 GMT

--- Peter Donald <donaldp@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As ant has evolved there has been a
> tendency
> to reduce the number of attributes in a task and increase the number of
> elements. So parameters are gradually going from "include" attributes to
> "include" elements. I was told that this is increasing difficult for
> average users. While I tend to agree that it increases difficulty I think
> it is a fair enough tradeoff for added power in general. It does increase
> the learning curve a little but ...

Interesting info. In all seriousness (I'm not being smug), why do you think
"they" think that

      More Elements -> Harder
but
      More Attributes -> Easier

? Is is a visual layout issue (clumping related information close
together), or is it the difficulty of understanding hierarchical data? As a
non-non-technical person, I actually find the nested elements approach much
easier to read. But as has been pointed out here, there has been a goal
stated at some point that Ant should be accessible to non-techies as well
as techies.

sim

=====
Mustard Seed Software