ant-dev mailing list archives

From Simeon Fitch <meta...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: OS detection: am I missing the obvious?
Date Thu, 09 Nov 2000 01:12:35 GMT
--- Diane Holt <holtdl@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I'm not trying to re-open this debate, honestly, but
> I just have to say
> that I find it interesting that you think heading
> towards something like
> "configure" is desirable, just to avoid having a
> test-for-value.

Since this debate pre-dates me, I'll be naive enough
reopen it :-]

When I see someone having to store boolean state
information as nodes in a file system to get the
behavior they need, I can't help but to wonder if
there might be a better way. The fact that there are
"if" and "unless" attributes leads me to believe that
there is at least tacit support for conditional target
execution. The foot has already passed through the
door; why not enter the room?

That being said, adding an equality operator is: 1)
powerful, 2) simple to implement 3) clearly
understandable 4) maintainable. It is certainly less
hairy than scripting.

> Personally, I find "configure" to be one of the
> yuckiest mangled mess of
> spaghetti-ed crud I've ever run into (and I've run

My personal impression of "configure" is that it is
the answer to incompatible compilers and disparate of
make (the makefiles it generates are lowest common
denominator). Does Ant really need this type of
bandage yet?

Simeon

=====
Mustard Seed Software