ant-dev mailing list archives

From Diane Holt <hol...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-ant/src/main/org/apache/tools/ant ProjectHelper.java
Date Tue, 07 Nov 2000 07:28:47 GMT
--- Nico Seessle <Nico.Seessle@epost.de> wrote:
> Can't you use <property file="${ant.home}/lib/default.properties"/> if
> there are only properties in default.xml?

That's pretty much what I'm currently doing -- only I read in about 7
property files, which is one thing "default.xml" would do, if I had one. I
just didn't want to have to have the same lines of stuff in each one,
since it cranks up the maintenance factor. Other things in "default.xml"
would be targets like "init", "cleanclass", etc., so I don't have to have
targets in each sub-buildfile that do <ant>'s to the top-level one to use
those targets. Originally, I was hoping I could get away with just a
top-level buildfile, but it just wasn't workable, so I have to go with
having sub-buildfiles (28 so far, and there's still more to do...) It'd be
alot handier to use a "common-properties-setting/targets" file I could
read into each of the sub's, but I just can't see doing the relative-path
thing -- so for now I'm just working around not doing the "include" thing
by having each one read in all the properties files and doing <ant>'s to
the top-level for "generic" targets, both of which are really non-optimal
ways of doing it, but I don't see much of an alternative at the moment.

Diane

=====
(holtdl@yahoo.com)