ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Steve Loughran" <stev...@iseran.com>
Subject Re: OS detection: am I missing the obvious?
Date Wed, 08 Nov 2000 21:56:44 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Diane Holt" <holtdl@yahoo.com>

> Personally, I find "configure" to be one of the yuckiest mangled mess of
> spaghetti-ed crud I've ever run into (and I've run into a considerable
> amount of mangled crud over the years, so that's saying quite a lot).

mmm. worst build process I've ever seen was for a BIOS designed to build for
a series of
computers

-original source files from a BIOS vendor
-patches made by the OEM manufacturer somewhere or other
-patches made atop those by the actual vendor

most functions, case options were ifdef'd out to keep the rom size down

The build process was one of taking the original files, copying over the
vendor/OEM patch files then any model specific overrwrites then running the
makefile which was an old NMAKE 1.x file (the brain dead DOS make app from
MS that didnt understand dependencies). Oh, and half that makefile was
generated on the fly from configuration settings.

End result: the only way to tell if a line was in the build was to insert a
typo and see if it broke the build.

Debugging? That was what the keyboard lights were for.

-Steve