ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Steve Loughran" <stev...@iseran.com>
Subject Thoughts on an 'open' task
Date Tue, 07 Nov 2000 20:37:12 GMT

I seem to have need of an 'open' task in some of my targets which would take
a file and based on its type bring it up in the appropriate app. For
example, <open file="results.html" wait="false"> would spawn a viewer for an
HTML file without caring what the reference viewer app is.

Doing that on Windows is fairly easy with a 10 line wrapper application
"open.exe" to do the right thing. But I wouldnt know where to begin on
Unix/Linux/Mac.

If there is a solution to doing it on most platforms then it would make
sense for me to turn it into a re-usable task, otherwise it might as well
remain a single platform trick I can do using exec.

Any suggestions for cross platform solutions?

    -Steve