ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Steve Loughran" <stev...@iseran.com>
Subject Re: Prompt task
Date Thu, 30 Nov 2000 23:27:59 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stefan Bodewig" <bodewig@apache.org>
To: <ant-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Thursday, November 30, 2000 9:06 AM
Subject: Re: Prompt task

> Jeff Martin <jmartin@silacom.com> wrote:
>
> > I've already written a Prompt taks which I've been using for a
> > while. It allows you to use both command line and swing
> > prompts. It's probably not the way things should go but it solved
> > the problem I had.
>
> Yes, I'd prefer that the writer of the build file doesn't need to know
> whether a GUI will be used or not (one could even imagine reading
> answers from a file for automatic installation routines). So the mode
> attribute is not really what I'd want.

the prompting should be though a providable entrypoint/callback so that GUIs
can plug in; the base ant should offer a command line and java 1.1
compatible AWT option.

There is another kind of prompted query, and that is for things like
'password' that we dont want to store anywhere on the system. I'd certainly
appreciate if that got added in...

-steve