ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Steve Loughran" <stev...@iseran.com>
Subject Re: Searching for build.xml
Date Thu, 02 Nov 2000 07:20:35 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Conor MacNeill" <conor@cortexebusiness.com.au>
To: "Ant-Dev" <ant-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Wednesday, November 01, 2000 11:02 PM
Subject: Searching for build.xml

> As you may recall I expressed some reservations about the feature
introduced
> in ant 1.2 whereby ant will search up the directory tree for a build.xml
> file
>
> I recently asked my sysadmin to install ant 1.2 on our Unix system and,
> after reading the release notes, he sent me a colourful email, attached
> below.
>
> Dose anyone else, or their sysadmins, think this is a problem?

I've had a bad experience with the autosearch function where I had stuck a
build.xml file in c:\ as some interim place to stick things some months ago.

Then sometime this week I type and and it finds that file and runs with it
because I am not quite in the place I think I am. No harm was done this
time, but it gave me a bit of a scare.

In a multiuser environment if someone could sneak in a build.xml upstream
then a user could perhaps be engineered into running a potentially
destructive build file. This isnt likely (you need an odd combination of
rights to make it worthwhile), but conceivable

At the same time, it is slightly handy.

> > a. allow the sane to disable the feature with a command line
> >    switch (an environment variable is probably too subtle)

I think a better approach than a 'search up by default' would be to have the
search disabled by default, with a -search argument to turn it on (perhaps
including number of parent searches).

-steve