BugRat Report # 314

Project: Ant Release: Ant 1.1
Category: Feature Requests SubCategory: Enhancement
Class: suggest State: received
Confidence: public

Submitter: Simeon H.K. Fitch ( simeon@fitch.net )
Date Submitted: Oct 26 2000, 03:33:30 CDT
Responsible: Z_Ant Alias ( ant-bugs@cortexity.com )

Synopsis:
Emacs (or generic IDE) compatible error reporting
Environment: (jvm, os, osrel, platform)
1.2, Linux, RH 6.2, x86

Additional Environment Description:

Report Description:
The output format generated by org.apache.tools.ant.DefaultLogger (I think that's the class) obscures error reporting information from the compiler by prepending [javac] in front of each error line. Although this is visually appealing, it throws off error parsing features of Emacs (and probably other IDEs) that will automatically place your cursor at the point of the error. I recommend an option to Ant to allow users of such error processing tools to turn off the "mutilating" reporting in favor of a format that is more similar to "make". Perhaps a new logger class "MakeLikeLogger" could be created and inserted in the lister list at startup to provide such a feature.

View this report online...