ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@bost.de>
Subject Re: Submission: refid, CompositeType, NestedDataType
Date Wed, 11 Oct 2000 15:37:25 GMT

 VB> I am afraid I was not too convincing yesterday, so let me give
 VB> some simple reasons for my submission.

I love simple reasons 8^). Honest, I really want to understand why we
need something before it gets into Ant.

I've understood that you and some other people have to use several
<java> or <exec> tasks with similar (and rather longish) argument
lists. In a situation like this, being able to use them by reference
is something good - no objections.

Why argument should be able to deal with paths (it already can) and
references to paths or filesets is also quite clear to me - again no
objections.

What I still don't get is what

<path>
  <argument refid="..." />
</path>

or the same with fileset could mean. I think one way around should be
enough. Please convince me with an example.

I still don't quite understand what you are after when you want to
enable property to take a reference to a fileset for example, either.

 VB> and it does not turn Ant into a new scripting language.

I never thought it would - this is another thread 8^).

Stefan