ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@bost.de>
Subject Re: reassigning perperty values?
Date Mon, 30 Oct 2000 09:04:19 GMT

 JAF> I may be arguing(sp?) for breaking buildfiles left and right,
 JAF> but I really think it is wrong to presume that any ANT file
 JAF> called from another is a related subproject.

I'm leaning towards your side here, but we'd probably seriously
breaking other peoples builds. I'm not all against doing this once
again, but we should have a clear statement in place why we did so.

 JAF> Lets assume I have this website project that uses Tomcat,
 JAF> Cocoon, xerces, xalan, and my own stuff. Lets assume (and here
 JAF> is the leap of faith) that I do not trust distributions and I
 JAF> like to compile stuff from sccratch.

Not that far fetched. I know Jeff Martin is working on extending
Alexandria to be used as a master build/test tool for several
projects. Right now he must be very careful in chosing property names
to make sure he doesn't override another project's properties by
accident.

The solution I currently prefer is to specify "this property should
not be passed to subbuilds" in the master process.

Stefan