ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@bost.de>
Subject Re: PropertyFile.java ?
Date Tue, 17 Oct 2000 12:55:55 GMT

 DH> I believe the thinking (even by Nico) was that since <echo> was
 DH> changed to take a "file" attribute shortly after this was
 DH> offered, that it obviated the need for it.

That's how I've seen it, yes.

 DH> and the reason it's nicer than just using the <echo
 DH> file="somefile"> is because it can change the value of a property
 DH> already in the file, rather than either just overwriting (or
 DH> appending to) the file itself.

I'm not sure I understand the difference between changing the property
in the file and overwriting the file with one that has the new
value.

You don't have to restrict yourself to a single property as you could
simply write

<echo><![CDATA[prop1=${prop1}
prop2=${prop2}
prop3=${prop3}
]]></echo>

the only restriction (and I don't know whether this is what is
disturbing you) is that you need to know all properties that could be
set in this file.

Stefan