ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@bost.de>
Subject Re: Some Thoughts on Ant 1.3 and 2.0
Date Mon, 30 Oct 2000 09:41:41 GMT

 CM> Forgot one of my favourites. I have in the past proposed
 CM> supporting the multithreading of tasks within a target by the
 CM> addition of a boolean async attribute.

With an implicit join at the end of the target, right? I'm kind of
sitting on the fence here.

In situations like the one you describe - forking of another process
like a server that needs to be running in parallel it might come in
handy, but as a general concept in tasks and targets ...

 CM> Thomas Christen has asked about having parallel targets within a
 CM> project.

I've seen it.

When I sat together with Jeff Martin and we thought about things
missing inside Ant that could help his efforts in Alexandria (kind of
"build all Java based Apache projects from a single build
environment"), building things asynchronously popped up quite
fast. Why not build Tomcat and Cocoon in parallel for example?

Thomas' ideas seem to go into this direction and I'd really like to
explore how much of this could be achieved without complicating live
for Ant too much.

Stefan