ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Sam Ruby/Raleigh/IBM" <>
Subject Re: Role of scripts [was Re: increment task]
Date Thu, 26 Oct 2000 18:41:13 GMT
Ken Wood wrote:
> It was designed to be a JAVA program to build
> java. It was designed to be extended using
> java because that was the original CONCEPT

Have you talked to the original author?  I have.

The original concept was language independent.  The implementation and the
first set of tasks were written in Java because that's what James Duncan
Davidson needed at the time.

James, Stefano, myself or the others at the time would have no objections
to Ant being extended by COBOL or LISP or whatever.

What everybody didn't want was for the Ant language itself (by this, I mean
the XML grammar) to become yet another programming language.

- Sam Ruby

View raw message