ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stuart Roebuck ...@adolos.com>
Subject Re: [patch] rough Telnet Remote Command Task
Date Thu, 26 Oct 2000 14:35:27 GMT
I realise I never explained why I use it, which might go to help to show how useful it can
be.

I use ant to build and upload web applications.  In situations where the complete build is
very large, it is more efficient for me to upload a patch file containing the differences
from the last build, and then issue a patch command on the server.  Ant will happily build
all my code, etc., I can use the Exec task to use "diff" to create a patch file locally based
on an automatically maintained copy of the last build, and I can use the Ftp task to upload
it onto the server, but there was no way of calling "patch" on the remote server once the
file was uploaded.  This is what I wrote the "Telnet" task for.

Stuart.

On Thursday, October 26, 2000, at 02:16 PM, Peter Donald wrote:

> At 07:14  26/10/00 -0500, you wrote:
> >Forgive my ignorance, but wouldn't an "rsh" task be better suited
> >to what you are trying to do with the "telnet" task???
>
> rsh is incredibly insecure and is not available on all OSs. Telnet also
> allows you to do other things that are not directly tied to a "login" shell
> - ie I could use it to pull down or restart my webserver that has a telnet
> interface etc.
>
> I can see it would be useful - thou definetly an optional thing.
> Cheers,
>
> Pete

Stuart Roebuck, BSc, MBA        Tel.: 0131 228 4853 / Fax.: 0870 054 8322
Managing Director                       Alpha Numeric Pager: 07654 588898