ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stuart Roebuck ...@adolos.com>
Subject Re: [Patch] Fix for Chmod on MacOS X & build location
Date Tue, 17 Oct 2000 12:07:42 GMT
Dirk,

On Tuesday, October 17, 2000, at 12:33 PM, Dirk.Weigenand wrote:

> Stuart Roebuck <sr@adolos.com> writes:
>
> Hi,
>
> when supplying patches please use unified diffs. You can do this by supplying
> the -u switch when creating the patch to diff. I.e.:
>
> cvs diff -u -r

Thanks for correcting me on this - I've resubmitted that patch as a unified diff.

> > I'm also puzzled as to why the location of the build directory set in "build.xml"
is set to
> be outside the ant directory tree.  Here's the patch to put it back in, but I suspect
I'm
> missing something here and there's probably a good reason why it was set the way it is:
> >
> The build process used by the apache project puts the build directory outside
> (one level higher) than where the sources for the various packages are
> situated. I.e. if you want to build jakarta-tomcat it expects the libraries
> (jar-files) for jakarta-ant and jakarta-servlet-api to sit in ../build/ant/lib
> and ../build/ant/jakarta-servlet-api/lib relative to jakarta-tomcat. this
> translates to the following directory structure:
>
> ./-
>   |-jakarta-tomcat
>   |-jakarta-ant
>   |-jakarta-servlet-api
>   |-build-
>          |-jakarta-tomcat
>          |-jakarta-ant
>          |-jakarta-servlet-api

I have to say that I'm a bit uncomfortable about this for the following reasons:

1.  There will be plenty of people building ant who don't use tomcat or servlets or any of
	the other jakarta packages.  Therefore I'm not comfortable that the existence of the
	other packages, and/or their locations, should be assumed.

2.  These seems very much like a 'side effect'.  e.g. you download the latest CVS into
	some location on your file system.  Type "ant clean" and whoops... you loose your
	build directory which you created for something altogether different and which you
	didn't think was at any risk of being touched by the ant build.

3.  Different file locations may suit different OSs.  e.g. under MacOS X it might make
	sense to locate Ant in a 'framework' with the structure:

         |- Jakarta-Ant.framework -
         |   |- Versions -
         |       |- 1.1 -
         |       |   |- README
         |       |   |- TODO
         |       |   |- etc.
         |       |- latestcvs -
         |           |- CVS
         |           |- README
         |           |- TODO
         |           |- etc.
         |- Jakarta-Tomcat.framework -
              |- Versions -
                  |- etc.

4.  With the current "build.xml" for Ant the "clean" task will clean all builds in the
	"../build/" directory.  Not just Ant.

Stuart.
Stuart Roebuck, BSc, MBA        Tel.: 0131 228 4853 / Fax.: 0870 054 8322
Managing Director                       Alpha Numeric Pager: 07654 588898