ant-dev mailing list archives

From "James Duncan Davidson" <dun...@x180.com>
Subject Re: Role of scripts [was Re: increment task]
Date Tue, 31 Oct 2000 06:18:16 GMT
On 10/27/00 9:37 AM, "Patrick Beard" <beard@netscape.com> wrote:

> I suppose your being ironic here, I certainly intend to keep thinking
> while I write build.xml files, although, I wouldn't be against using
> an IDE tool to construct them (hallelujah).

History Time: When I was looking at what build file format to use, XML
wasn't my first choice. I actually used properties in an early version. Then
I used something that was kind of like Jam.

The reason for going with XML was that it seemed to capture the hierarchical
structure that I wanted and that it was easy for tools to manipulate. Hand
editing of build files should be something that isn't a primary case imho.

--
James Duncan Davidson                                        duncan@x180.com
                                                                  !try; do()