ant-dev mailing list archives

From Jose Alberto Fernandez <JFernan...@viquity.com>
Subject RE: Some Thoughts on Ant 1.3 and 2.0
Date Fri, 27 Oct 2000 21:05:39 GMT

I really, think it would be more usefull we we could define new
tasks which just provide a predefined set of parameters for
normal tasks. A loose set of arguments as a datatype is a very strange
concept that smells to me like a MACRO expansion.

I would prefer having something like closures:

 <taskdef name="mycommand" >
   <java classname="....." >
    <classpath refid="..." />
    <sysproperty key=".." value="..." />
    <arg value="..." />
   </java>
 </taskdef>

 <target ... >
  <mycommand>
   <arg file="..." />
  </mycommand>
 </target>

Here the <mycommand> task is equivalent to:

   <java classname="....." >
    <classpath refid="..." />
    <sysproperty key=".." value="..." />
    <arg value="..." />
    <arg file="..." />
   </java>

If I had this functionality, I could reduce my build files for at least 50%
and they would be 10X more readable.

Jose Alberto
PS: This is not just for the <java> task, but for any other task.