ant-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Jose Alberto Fernandez <JFernan...@viquity.com>
Subject RE: Role of scripts [was Re: increment task]
Date Thu, 26 Oct 2000 20:18:43 GMT
I have to say, 

First of all ANT ALREADY SUPPORTS SCRIPTING!
So all this comments of making ANT more complex if we add scripting are
complete nonsense.

Second, I do not think anyone is proposing making scripting part of the
ANT CORE. All the mentioning of scripting is to be used as an optional
taks. It is up to the users to decide is they want to have the extra 
dependencies or not. 

Third, it feels sometimes that there are some kind of thought police
trying to control which optional tasks are people allow to write or
at least to offer to others as part of this list. On this regard, I can 
agree that many of this tasks, including my controversial <case> do
not need to be maintained on the ANT CVS. But I think we should
provide a place for people to post their work and then let the "market"
decide which of this tasks people want to use and which ones do not
make it.

I have submitted tasks to ANT because there is no other distribution
mechanism at this time. I suggest that as part of the work for
ANT 2.0, we consider keeping a webpage with pointers to 3rd party tasklibs.
I think the jakarta project already does some of that with JSP's taglibs.

Jose Alberto

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Alan Gerhard [mailto:AGerhard@E-SyncNet.Com]
> Sent: Thursday, October 26, 2000 5:37 AM
> To: ant-dev@jakarta.apache.org
> Subject: RE: Role of scripts [was Re: increment task]
> 
> 
> Ken -
> 
> I'm going to have to agree with you on this. 
> One of the compelling reasons in using Ant is it's straight 
> forward approach to executing the task of *building* java 
> based projects.
> 
> The standardized tasks that are available in Ant can be used 
> to perform about 80% of the jobs out there. The remaining 20% 
> of the necessary tasks can be performed via the custom tasks.
> 
> The Any User Community is rather large and I am sure there 
> are a lot of customized tasks out there that could be used in 
> those cases where a custom task is required.
> 
> Maybe the road to travel would be towards formulating a 
> repository of these tasks instead of marching down Script 
> Alley, of even going to Lisp-ville or becoming a Xalan-ite.
> 
> <Sender	name="Alan Gerhard"
> 		organization="E-Sync Networks, Inc."
> 		phone="203-601-3359"
> 		email="alan.gerhard@esyncnetworks.com"
> />
> 

Mime
View raw message