ant-dev mailing list archives

From Jesse Tilly <JTi...@hoteltools.com>
Subject RE: Dependencies between classes
Date Tue, 24 Oct 2000 18:39:50 GMT
I think we'll al be disappointed if we implement this.  The compilers and
the compiler spec itself change.  They may get even "smarter" in terms of
dependencies and render any intelligence in Ant void or, even worse, a
hindrance.  Any changes we make should follow closely with the intentions of
Sun and their specifications for the compiler.  We run into the same issues
with where optimization is located.  The concepts of object oriented
compilation, how byte code is handled and deployment will, for the near
future, be of some contention as the "kinks are worked out".  What if javac
suddenly wants to compile straight to a WAR or JAR?  How would dependencies
be handled outside of the compiler?

Anyway, just brining up points as to why this is a very difficult design
decision.

Jesse

-----Original Message-----
From: Matthijs Hollemans [mailto:matthijs@virtualunlimited.com]
Sent: Tuesday, October 24, 2000 5:57 AM
To: ant-dev@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: Re: Dependencies between classes

Hi Pete,

[class dependencies]

> I have plans to work on a cc task and will need it then and thus it will
> probably make it into abnt some how - it is a matter of determining the
> least expensive and most elegent way to do it thou ;) Make a proposal how
> you would do it and see how it is received ;)

Well, I don't know what Conor's implementation did, but I was thinking about
looking at the symbol tables from the actual .class files to see which other
classes they refer to. That way you use the dependency information that the
compiler already generated, so you don't have to scan through the source
files yourself (like jdeps does). Extracting this information from .class
files is pretty easy; I knocked up a simple 10-line test program to do so
yesterday using the JavaClass library (of course, without this library it
would be a lot harder ;-).

Matthijs