ant-dev mailing list archives

From ds...@us.britannica.com
Subject RE: Some Thoughts on Ant 1.3 and 2.0
Date Fri, 27 Oct 2000 20:22:39 GMT
spartan doc + no faq = frustrated user

(enough said?)

-----Original Message-----
From: Diane Holt [mailto:holtdl@yahoo.com]
Sent: Friday, October 27, 2000 12:49 PM
To: ant-dev@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: RE: Some Thoughts on Ant 1.3 and 2.0

--- Samuel R Listopad II <slistopad@intercapsystems.com> wrote:
> I think it would be good to have a property like output set to
> '/usr/${currUser}'
> and then when using ${output} and currUser set to alice it would resolve
> to /usr/alice rather than the
> /usr/${currUser} that it is now (if output defined before currUser).

Why not just use ${user.name}? It's available at startup.

One thing it might be good to do, is to have a list of the "built-in"
properties -- maybe in an appendix to the doc. I just modified my ant
wrapper script to not pass any defines on the java command-line, then ran
ant with -debug on a build-file that has nothing but a <project> tag,
piped it to "grep Setting project property:" and captured all the
properties that are set without my having anything to do with setting
them.

One thing I found interesting (and hadn't realized before this) is that
basedir is set without my having set it in <project>. Also, it doesn't
look like the project name is ever assigned to a property.

Another candidate for an appendix would be to pipe the debug to a grep on
"+User task:" -- for example, I've never seen anything in the doc about
<compileTask> (although I might remember having seen some mail about it
once, not sure, need to check the archive).

Diane

=====
(holtdl@yahoo.com)