ant-dev mailing list archives

From ds...@us.britannica.com
Subject RE: Javaworld Article about Ant
Date Mon, 23 Oct 2000 20:27:37 GMT
Of course, ANT could be used as a scripting language.  However, creating
elaborate representative command structures for problems easily handled by
existing scripting languages is slightly ridiculous.  ANT is a
special-purpose tool.

Doug Sale

-----Original Message-----
From: beard@netscape.com [mailto:beard@netscape.com]
Sent: Monday, October 23, 2000 3:21 PM
To: ant-dev@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: RE: Javaworld Article about Ant

At 12:45 PM -0700 10/23/00, Jose  Alberto Fernandez wrote:
>The funny thing is the article subtitle is:
>"Introducing the powerful XML-based scripting tool, Ant"
>and we keep on fighting that ANT is not a scripting language...

Oh, but to be honest, it really is, in XML clothing. Now, we just
need a way to define tasks within ANT itself... With BSF, that should
be quite doable.

(BTW, we're now using ant to build Mozilla Rhino.)

- Patrick
--

// Patrick C. Beard
// Java Runtime Enthusiast -- "Will invoke interfaces for food."