ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <Craig.McClana...@eng.sun.com>
Subject Re: Home for ANT GUI (was: Ant GUI Requirements)
Date Tue, 31 Oct 2000 18:16:53 GMT
Simeon Fitch wrote:

> --- Stefan Bodewig <bodewig@bost.de> wrote:
> > I think .duncan is reading here, he's the chairman
> > of the Jakarta PMC
> > so he's the person who can setup whatever is
> > necessary. AFAIK we would
> > need the PMC to officially approve it as a new
> > project to give it a
> > CVS repository of its own (I'm not a member of the
> > PMC). Lets see if
> > he speaks up, otherwise I'm going to propose it
> > directly to the PMC if
> > it is OK with you.
> >
> > If you wanted to host it in Ant's repository all
> > that needs to be done
> > is making you a committer for Ant ...
>
> I'm going to have to lean on you guys for what the
> best approach is. I'm a litle torn about the idea of
> setting up a full fledged Jakarta project, as there is
> something cozy about being under the protectorate wing
> of Ant ;-). However, I think the source trees should
> be separate to isolate Ant from the early starts and
> fits of the GUI. I basically want it both ways. :]
>
> Does having a separate Jakarta project imply a
> separate web page, mailing list, commiters, etc? How
> much effort and time does it take to get that all set
> up?
>
> Again, I'm personally inclined to go with whatever
> recommendations you make; I just would like to get
> things moving on a home for the effort.
>
> Thanks again!!
>
> Simeon

One option you guys could consider is just starting another CVS
repository module for the Ant GUI, but still keeping it as part of the
Ant project (in the Jakarta project management sense).  That would mean,
for example, every Ant committer is automatically a committer for both
repositories.

Another approach is to set up a multi-level build environment like
Tomcat does, so that Ant itself and the GUI have separate subdirectories
with independent build scripts plus a top-level build script that
rebuilds everything.  Personally, I'd like you guys to "eat your own dog
food" this way :-), just to see what people are up against with property
inheritance in subordinate <ant> executions :-).

Craig McClanahan