ant-dev mailing list archives

From (Patrick Chanezon)
Subject Re: This MUST be a FAQ
Date Wed, 18 Oct 2000 20:04:46 GMT
I agree with Dave, this has bothered me too since a while.

I guess it relates to the insect that is able to lift much more than its
own weight and live in very organized communities that perform a lot of
job in a efficient way.

But this summer I spent my vacations in Sumatra, Indonesia, the island
near java, which capital is Jakarta, and hearing our guides talk during a
walk in the jungle I heard them use the word ant. I asked them what it
meant and they told me it meant a walking stick.

I found that a pretty good metaphor of what ant does for me: it's really
my handy walking stick that helps me climb the steep hills our project
has traverse.
And it blends well with the java/jakarta-indonesian metaphor that
permeates the jakarta project.
The only thing I'm not sure of (and if there's an Indonesian in that list
I am interested to hear more about it) is if that word was in Baharasa
Indonesia or the local Sumatran dialect spoken in the region I visited
(near Bukitingi).

So here's my personal non-authoritative interpretation of the word, and I
am eager to hear from the ant original creators what they had in mind
when they named the project. Words, images and symbols have a very
powerful effect in any culture, and I think this explanation deserves to
be in the FAQ.
Let's have the ant become a symbol as prevalent as the Penguin or the
Camel :-)

David Makower wrote:

> Please don't hit me; I looked in the docs.  I looked in the FAQ.  I
> looked at the Ant home page.  My curiosity got the best of me and I
> couldn't find the answer to this simple question:  Why is it called
> Ant?
> --
> | Dave Makower                        <> |
> | Director of Engineering                                           |
> +--------------------------------+----------------------------------+
> |  Shooting Gallery Interactive  |  tel: (212) 905-2200 x155        |
> |  609 Greenwich St., 9th Floor  |  fax: (212) 905-2249             |
> |  New York, NY  10014           | |
> +--------------------------------+----------------------------------+

Patrick Chanezon, iPlanet Market Maker- Portal/EServices Technical Lead
Netscape Communications Corp. -
Opinions are my own.

"C@ in the H@

if you P@ the stomach
of a f@ C@,
it will look @ you,
and say I like th@"
Text by Dr. Seuss, Typesetting by Lawrence Steinman

View raw message