ant-dev mailing list archives

From Ken Wood <kw...@i2.com>
Subject Re: Newbie question: Parallel Make?
Date Mon, 16 Oct 2000 22:30:46 GMT
Well, gnu-make can do this because all of the
dependencies are explictly listed in the Makefiles,
and so gnu-make can figure out which files
can be spun off into different processors.

As I understand the current situation, Ant depends
on the compiler's understanding of dependencies. So,
it just hands the compiler the COMPLETE SET of files
to compile and says "here - compile these". And the
compiler makes it so. It is a single process that
compiles ALL the files, in the correct order
based on dependency.

Said differently, since Ant doesn't explictly know the dependencies,
it can't spin off separate compilations.