ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@locus.apache.org>
Subject RE: Ant GUI
Date Mon, 30 Oct 2000 05:33:46 GMT
At 09:17  30/10/00 -0800, you wrote:
>2) The so called "stateless" nature of HTML makes it
>difficult to implement dynamic, event driven
>processes, a class of application which Ant falls in.
>Imagine trying to add a feature in a HTML based app
>whereby the status of a build is updated dynamically
>on the screen (which would be even cooler with some of
>the paralellism features that have been discussed!).
>In an app server/servlet container like JRun most of
>the browser configuration is essentially setting
>properties, which HTML is great at doing. But whenever
>you want to display changing information you need to
>drop in an applet, or hack in refreshing pages (did I
>miss an approach here?).

DHTML works wonders as does scripting combined with XML. I hate both of
them because incredibly difficult to make work across all browsers - thou
it is possible ;)

>Should build monitoring be a separate "TODO"?

Probably. Part of the functionality can be done via listeners at the moment
thou this will probably need expanding in future.

Cheers,

Pete