ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@locus.apache.org>
Subject Re: [patch] rough Telnet Remote Command Task
Date Thu, 26 Oct 2000 13:16:10 GMT
At 07:14  26/10/00 -0500, you wrote:
>Forgive my ignorance, but wouldn't an "rsh" task be better suited
>to what you are trying to do with the "telnet" task???

rsh is incredibly insecure and is not available on all OSs. Telnet also
allows you to do other things that are not directly tied to a "login" shell
- ie I could use it to pull down or restart my webserver that has a telnet
interface etc.

I can see it would be useful - thou definetly an optional thing.
Cheers,

Pete