ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@locus.apache.org>
Subject RE: Dependencies between classes
Date Wed, 25 Oct 2000 01:25:07 GMT
At 02:39  24/10/00 -0400, you wrote:
>I think we'll al be disappointed if we implement this.  The compilers and
>the compiler spec itself change.  They may get even "smarter" in terms of
>dependencies and render any intelligence in Ant void or, even worse, a
>hindrance.  Any changes we make should follow closely with the intentions of
>Sun and their specifications for the compiler.  We run into the same issues
>with where optimization is located.  The concepts of object oriented
>compilation, how byte code is handled and deployment will, for the near
>future, be of some contention as the "kinks are worked out".  What if javac
>suddenly wants to compile straight to a WAR or JAR?  How would dependencies
>be handled outside of the compiler?
>
>Anyway, just brining up points as to why this is a very difficult design
>decision.

I agree - ironically it is also faster to delete the source tree and do a
full recompile under jikes ;) (if project < 800 files). Thou until jikes is
standard it would be useful if there was an enhanced version that did
dependancy checking. It would not be used in some cases (ie jikes or if
user sets preference) but in other cases it will be used. Anyways - no harm
in trying to get it going - if it fails we can always junk it ;)

Cheers,

Pete