ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@locus.apache.org>
Subject Re: Dependencies between classes
Date Tue, 24 Oct 2000 10:37:22 GMT
>Does anyone else think this is a worthwhile feature? It buys you the same as
>using make and mkdepend when you're coding in C/C++ (or when you use make
>and jdeps for Java), but it also increases compile time. I could write this
>in a few days, but I don't want to do that if it's not going to make it into
>the Ant distribution, or if someone else is already working on it.

It is a desirable feature, no ones working on it at the moment but I
believe there is already a few implementations of it (Conor has one IIRC).
The problem is that dependency checking is really a task for compiler and
some compilers (ie jikes) mostly take care of it. In other cases (< 800
files) it is faster to do a complete recompile than check dependencies ;)
(if you use a nice compiler like jikes).

I have plans to work on a cc task and will need it then and thus it will
probably make it into abnt some how - it is a matter of determining the
least expensive and most elegent way to do it thou ;) Make a proposal how
you would do it and see how it is received ;)

Cheers,

Pete