ant-dev mailing list archives

From Simeon Fitch <meta...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Some Thoughts on Ant 1.3 and 2.0
Date Tue, 31 Oct 2000 14:09:08 GMT

> Actually, I'd like to implement a mini parser that
> just knew Ant's
> particular syntax and remove the need to depend on
> external libs.
<snip>
> Ok -- maybe that's a bit over the top.. But it's a
> thought.

I think the real argument for this is speed. If it
will make loading and running Ant faster I think it
should be considered. My builds with Ant are still
much slower than they were with make.

> Actually, I'd rather break with the past and just
> say that if I have a
> property defined at a upper level, and it's not
> reassigned at a lower level,
> then you get the upper level -- but if it is
> reassigned at a lower level --
> you get the lower level. It's simple and to the
> point.

Although I haven't followed the discussions in detail,
my impression with the thoughts on property
inheritance is that it's getting a little complicated.
I don't know all the history behind it, but I like the
approach above of duncan@x180.com as it is clean and
really easy to understand. And is (sort of) follows
the Unix model of exported environment variables to
subprocesses.

> > Make extending Ant as simple as possible, i.e.
> drop a jar file in a
> > specific directory (ANT_HOME/ext globally or
> ~/.ant/ext on a user by
> > user basis).
>
> Order: 1) specified pick up location in the build
> file
>        2) ~/.ant/ext
>        3) ANT_HOME/ext
>
> > This jar file must include <taskdef>s to define
> the tasks, Schema
> > files to describe the tasks and documentation in
> the XML format we
> > agreed on.
>
> In META-INF/anttask.xml

Another vote here for this one!