ant-dev mailing list archives

From Diane Holt <hol...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Role of scripts [was Re: increment task]
Date Thu, 26 Oct 2000 17:14:23 GMT
Who's asking for anything to be added? It sounded to me like something was
asking to be subtracted -- namely, the <script> task. I don't think your
analogy holds up. Is the idea that Ant is only for use by Java
programmers?

I mean, doesn't the whole big hoohoo about *not* making Ant itself a
"scripting language" in order to -avoid- having people have to learn Yet
Another Language pretty much fall down, if you're expected to learn the
language *it's programmed in* before you can even do anything other than
only the most basic of basic things?

I'm sorry I don't have the luxury of time to sit down and learn Java --
I'm trying to put a Java-oriented build system together. I can take the
time to learn as much Java as I need to -- at this point in time -- to get
that done. I can take the time to learn as much about XML at this point as
I need to to get that job done. Et cetera, et cetera... but I cannot take
the time to sit down and learn the entire Java language, or everything you
ever needed to know about XML (and XSLT, and XWhoKnowsWhat) -- I have a
job to get done, and if Ant is going to be some elitist tool, usable only
by those who already know everything there is to know about Java, etc.,
then it's not going to be a reasonable tool to use -- and I'll look
elsewhere for one that is.

Diane

=====
(holtdl@yahoo.com)