ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Charles Tewksbury" <te...@adhesive.com>
Subject RE: reassigning property values?
Date Fri, 27 Oct 2000 21:01:42 GMT
To start with, I having been having a heck of a time with properties lately.
I don't know why but all my build files just seemed to go in the toilet when
I upgraded to 1.2 (I doubt I was doing them correctly to start with but...)
Is anybody else experiencing upgrade nightmares?

Now to Jose's statement.  I agree almost completely, especially that you
cannot guarantee a BUILD ALL means all subprojects are designed to a
cohesive whole.

I do wish to expand a bit more with my own frustrations (Don't get me wrong,
for the most part I love ANT).  In my projects I build numerous subprojects
(>10) (which I differentiate by groups working on the project so they can
maintain their sub-project build files and I just do the integrations).  In
these subprojects there are many interdependencies.  For example (does not
reflect reality too closely):

	Mod A depends on C
	Mod B depends on C
	Mod C depends on B
	Mod D depends on A

This works great when building any submodule but when I BUILD ALL, I could
end up building
 	Build A:	B, C, A
	Build B:	(No build but trying B, C, B, C, B, C, .....)
	Build C:	(No build but trying B, C, B, C, B, C, .....)
	Build D:	C, A, D

I know the interdependencies may seem strange but they are true.  To stop
the "circular" builds of B and C, I have to tell them through a "nosubmod"
prop not to build if already built.  I originally wanted to do this by
passing a property back up the build chain but apparently I am unable to do
this.  Therefore, I end up doing some funky behavior in my build all script
where I personally understand the dependencies.  (Although I hate it, this
is one benefit of GMake).

I liked the concept of a target getting executed once and only once, except
this doesn't work between multiple build files (or antcalls for that
matter).

Now I realize that no one knows my exact structure, but I assume others have
similar problems, I would be interested in hearing how you solved them.