ant-dev mailing list archives

From BugRat Mail System <tomcat-b...@cortexity.com>
Subject BugRat Report #314 has been filed.
Date Thu, 26 Oct 2000 20:33:30 GMT
Bug report #314 has just been filed.

   <http://znutar.cortexity.com:8888/BugRatViewer/ShowReport/314>

REPORT #314 Details.

Project: Ant
Category: Feature Requests
SubCategory: Enhancement
Class: suggest
State: received
Severity: non-critical
Confidence: public
Environment:
   Release: Ant 1.1
   JVM Release: 1.2
   Operating System: Linux
   OS Release: RH 6.2
   Platform: x86

Synopsis:
Emacs (or generic IDE) compatible error reporting

The output format generated by org.apache.tools.ant.DefaultLogger (I think that's the class)
obscures error reporting information from the compiler by prepending [javac] in front of each
error line. Although this is visually appealing, it throws off error parsing features of Emacs
(and probably other IDEs) that will automatically place your cursor at the point of the error.
I recommend an option to Ant to allow users of such error processing tools to turn off the
"mutilating" reporting in favor of a format that is more similar to "make". Perhaps a new
logger class "MakeLikeLogger" could be created and inserted in the lister list at startup
to provide such a feature.