ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Matthijs Hollemans" <mahlz...@bigfoot.com>
Subject Dependencies between classes
Date Tue, 24 Oct 2000 07:36:55 GMT
Hi all,

Before I begin, I'd like to say that I am really impressed with Ant. I have
only been playing with it for a few days now, but I've seen enough. I want
to integrate it into our build process here at work as soon as possible
because I'm fed up with the simple batch files and shell scripts that we use
right now and I didn't want to switch to make (I guess I don't have to tell
you guys why). Congratulations -- and thanks -- to all of you!

Anyway, Ant seems to be missing one feature that I'd really like to have.
Since I only joined this list (and ant-user) yesterday, you'll have to
excuse me if I'm going over old topics here. What I'd like to see is that
the javac task automatically handles dependencies between classes. Suppose
class A uses a method from class B, and both are already compiled. When
class B is changed and recompiled, class A won't be recompiled
automatically. I understand that this isn't as much an issue for Java as it
is for C/C++, but sometimes (especially in an environment where classes
evolve rapidly) changing class B breaks class A.

Does anyone else think this is a worthwhile feature? It buys you the same as
using make and mkdepend when you're coding in C/C++ (or when you use make
and jdeps for Java), but it also increases compile time. I could write this
in a few days, but I don't want to do that if it's not going to make it into
the Ant distribution, or if someone else is already working on it.

Thanks in advance,

Matthijs Hollemans
Conductor of Weird Experiments & BeOS Developer

Free BeOS software @ http://home.concepts.nl/~hollies
Listen to my music @ www.mp3.com/mothergoose
Buzz with the Bees @ www.virtualunlimited.com