ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Steve Loughran" <stev...@iseran.com>
Subject Re: Role of scripts [was Re: increment task]
Date Thu, 26 Oct 2000 16:46:46 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Alan Gerhard" <AGerhard@E-SyncNet.Com>

> The Ant User Community is rather large and I am sure there are a lot of
customized tasks out there that could be used in those cases where a custom
task is required.

This is actually one of the nice side effects of forcing everyone to extend
ant through ant tasks, rather than in-line code: it is much more likely that
the resultant code will be reusable, so the base ant toolkit becomes richer
over time. in-line scripting may tend to result in one off code which is
hard to re-use in your own projects, let alone across the java dev
community.

> Maybe the road to travel would be towards formulating a repository of
these tasks instead of marching down Script Alley, of even going to
Lisp-ville or becoming a Xalan-ite.

I think the ant extension approach will help here; it will be much easier to
drop in new tasks ; we just now need a [CVS managed] place for all the
sumbitted tasks to go, even the ones that arent as formally supported as
taskdefs.optional

As a case in point I am partway through coding up a CSC task to build C#
code from inside ant. I suspect that many people would (perhaps quite
rightly) feel that that should not be part of the official optional task
list on the basis it aids and abets the complete antithesis of the Java
world. But shouldt stop that those of us doing .net work dont to use ant,
and the appropriate tasks to make it possible.

-Steve