ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Steve Loughran" <stev...@iseran.com>
Subject SUBMIT[2] production.html
Date Fri, 13 Oct 2000 00:07:42 GMT

Right, here is my now vastly expanded and revised document on using ant in
production.

Changes

-lots more stuff including: directory structures, cross platform issues,
when to get an ant update

-a bit of an introduction and some tailpiece on putting it all together

-links to the tasks as they are named in the paper

I also titled the document 'Ant in Anger: using ant in a production
environment', as one of the lessons I've learned from getting papers
published or read is that the title is nearly everything.

As it stands I have now documented the practices and process I have learned
through a few team projects using ant as the build tool. That does not make
it complete -other people doing different projects with different team
structures will have learned different lessons; -so other peoples
contributions are going to be be needed to.

In particular, if there are practices I suggest that are utterly broken,
better directory structures for complex projects or simply more cross
platform issues, these need to go in.

Incidentally, I think it would be very handy if the ant documentation were
actually indexed so as to be a click or two from the ant home page. Right
now you get the stuff if you download ant, but otherwise it is kind of
fiddly -you have to know where to look. Far more convenient would be a quick
link to the documentation bundle, particularly the task list.

Steve

"plan on your service having a regular downtime. It will anyway"

Win32 Hacking http://www.iseran.com/Win32/
Alpine Cycling http://www.iseran.com/Atlas/