ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Alan Gerhard" <AGerh...@E-SyncNet.Com>
Subject RE: Role of scripts [was Re: increment task]
Date Thu, 26 Oct 2000 19:25:03 GMT
We are loosing the focus here.
Regardless of what the *original* intent was, the end result is that we, the ANT Community,
have an open source, platform independent, MAKE tool that is extremely light weight and flexible.

It's written in JAVA and supports on open interface that allows extended and custom *java*
tasks to be plugged in relatively easily - as long as one has the ability to program using
java.

And this is where scripts come into play. Now I am trying to understand what Diane meant by
supporting JavaScript and the best I can do is the following -

Ant is a program that interprets an xml-base script language and performs the actions thus
requested by it. Instead of relying on the limitations of the Ant Language and custom java
classes, couldn't Ant interpret other *languages* too ??

This is more in line with Sam's comments about *language independence*, but let's not kid
ourselves - Ant uses an XML-based language, and yes, it's a language.

This is how I understand the request for script support.

With this in mind, the question really is - "Do we want to create an interface that allows
for multiple *languages*, or parsers ??

Alan Gerhard