ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Vincent Bergbauer" <vincent_bergba...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Submission: refid, CompositeType, NestedDataType
Date Wed, 11 Oct 2000 11:44:19 GMT
I am afraid I was not too convincing yesterday, so let me give some simple reasons for my submission.

Path, Argument and FileSet already provide valuable functionalities: Path takes care of file
and path separators,
FileSet finds file satisfying a given pattern, Argument quotes individual arguments that have
space in them.
They all help you organize your build file by grouping related elements together in two dimensions
rather than as
a long list:
  <argument id="jvmargs">
    <argument value="-Djava.security.manager"/>
    <argument value="-Djava.security.policy=${build.dir}/config/${name}_java2.policy"/>
    <argument value="-Djava.security.auth.policy=${build.dir}/config/${name}_jaas.policy"/>
    <argument value="-Djava.security.auth.login.config=${build.dir}/config/${name}_jaas.config"/>
    <argument value="-Dpros.home=${build.dir}"/>
  </argument>
 is easier to read than:
<property name="jvmargs"
value="-Djava.security.manager -Djava.security.policy=${build.dir}/config/${name}_java2.policy
-Djava.security.auth.policy=${build.d
ir}/config/${name}_jaas.policy -Djava.security.auth.login.config=${build.dir}/config/${name}_jaas.config
-Dpros.home=${build.dir}"/>

Note that all these functionalities already exist in core Ant.
When references were introduced, they were useful within a Path or a FileSet, but it became
apparent that I could use
those in a Property and make the functionality of DataTypes available to anything that can
use a Property (a big example
is the filter capability of copydir).

All this requires very little new code: I just shuffled some code around to make it reusable,
and it does not turn Ant into
a new scripting language.
I know that you can do anything with the Script task, but core Ant can already do what I described.
It is only  a matter
of making it available to the user.

Vincent.