ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Nico Seessle" <Nico.Sees...@epost.de>
Subject Re: For 2.0: Ant-Extension Mechanism
Date Wed, 18 Oct 2000 06:07:10 GMT
----- Original Message -----
From: "Jose Alberto Fernandez" <JFernandez@viquity.com>
To: <ant-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Wednesday, October 18, 2000 3:19 AM
Subject: RE: For 2.0: Ant-Extension Mechanism

> I would prefer if the XML contained <taskdef>s declarations instead of
some
> other new definition. That would mean that we have one unified mechanism
> that is used by everything. I guess that would make <taskdef> the only
> predefined
> task within ANT itself. I guess my point is that what I can say in a
> tasklib.xml
> must not be more nor less expressive than declaring tasks in thebuildfile
> itself.

It must not, but it could. Think of:
- including documentation (or at least a pointer on what files should be
build into the docs) into the tasklib.xml (if we someday get there that we
can build documentation (or part of) dynamically
- AutoUpdate

> There should be a way to load a tasklib from the buildfile, do you have
> that?
> I mean, one should be able to use libraries that have not being installed
by
> default.

Hmm... you can put every .tsk-file which you get just into %ANT_HOME%/ext,
restart ant and the task is available. Is this enough? It should not be a
big problem to add something like <taskdef lib="myfile.tsk"/> if this is
needed.

> Do we really need to have a separate core.tsk file? Why not make ant.jar a
> tasklib file by adding a METAINF/tasklib.xml to it. You provided the task.

This would result in the same "problems" as putting all core-tasks in a
core.tsk - it would need larger changes to the build-process of ant itself
and was just not done at this time because
1. I'm not so experienced with CVS
2. I don't like to have a second workspace around for quite a long time
3. I don't know how to sync two local workspaces
4...

But you are right, it should probably done this way.