ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Nico Seessle" <Nico.Sees...@epost.de>
Subject Re: Javaworld Article about Ant
Date Tue, 24 Oct 2000 00:38:15 GMT
----- Original Message -----
From: "Peter Donald" <donaldp@locus.apache.org>
To: <ant-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Tuesday, October 24, 2000 3:18 AM
Subject: Re: Javaworld Article about Ant

> how about ?
>
>   <taskdef name="function" language="javascript">
>       <![CDATA[
>         myProject.log('arg1: ' + arg1);
>       ]]>
>   </taskdef>

It was not intended for posting now (Just posted it in case someone would
like to play arounf with it) and would make it hard for me (as a
not-experienced cvs-user) to have something like this in Taskdef.java and
update local sourced thru cvs. That would be something that *can* be
discussed once Ant 1.2 is out (although I don't personally think a change
like this at such a low level would be accepted for general use). Internally
it does just this: project.addTaskDefinition(name, this.getClass()).

The Problem is (would could be possible to solve in another way with larger
modifications) that you *must* provide a class to ant which is instantiated
and it's attributes are set thru introspection while parsing the relevant
parts of the build.xml. The task currently does both, define a new task if
called with a name "function" and execute a previous defined task (script)
if call with another name.

So all it's current implementation is for simplicity and to require no
changed to ant at all.

Nico