ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Nico Seessle" <>
Subject Re: Class versioning
Date Fri, 20 Oct 2000 07:59:12 GMT
----- Original Message -----
From: "Alan Gerhard" <AGerhard@E-SyncNet.Com>
To: <>
Sent: Friday, October 20, 2000 9:23 AM
Subject: Class versioning

> let's go quote-less :)
> Unfortunately, my place of business is using VSS and we are somewhat
limited to what can and can't be done.
> We are putting together a system built upon multiple 'functional
connectors'. Since these classes technically are unrelated, we have a need
to be able to identify a specific connector by date, version, and build.
> The build would be tied to the release of the total solution. The class
version would be specific to the class.
> Obviously the development cycle makes it absurd to 'version' with each
compile, but at some point the classes should be version:ed and to make it
part of the build process would be for me, the ideal place ...
> but I will look into what the real limitations are with VSS and see if we
cannot use the approach mentioned here within.

Could keyword-expansion help in your case? You can use $Revision: $ and
$Date: $ to get the version and the checkin-date of a file resolved in your
source by VSS.

I would think that keeping exact the same information outside of VSS to use
it with ant would get really complicated since you would need a property for
each file to remember the number increment it using a script (until we may
get propertyfile-task), set another property to the date you wish to use and
modify the sourcefile's accordingly.

I have not used it myself since it's enough for us to have version-numbers
at the distribution-unit-level (jar-files) and currently in one build all
get the same numbers since all are rebuild.

View raw message