ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@bost.de>
Subject Re: Defining task-specific properties - what "namespace" should I use?
Date Thu, 14 Sep 2000 07:36:25 GMT

 NS> Javac (jikes) uses some properties to set options which
 NS> are available only to jikes and not the other compilers.

Yes and I'd really like to take it a very different approach to
it. I've been kicking around this idea for quite some time now, how
about

<javac ..>
  <jikes pedantic="no" emacs="yes" />
</javac>

which would be ignored if using a different compiler than jikes.

Would an approach like this fit your needs?

I know it has some limitations if compared to a CSS based approach -
even compared to the property approach we currently take.

Most notably I can easily setup my environment to always call Ant
with -Dbuild.compiler.emacs=true now, while I'd need to ensure every
build file has a <jikes> element nested into every <javac> with the
appropriate setting of the emacs attribute to achieve the same effect.

Stefan